With Christmas coming up I thought I’d start experimenting with some alcohol containing cupcake recipes. For mine I wanted a sweet flavour rather than a huge alcoholic hit so I used Koppaberg strawberry and lime gin. If you don’t have any flavoured gin to hand, I’m sure a standard gin will do as the coulis already has a fruity flavour. Makes 12 medium – large cupcakes.
200g gluten free self raising flour
200g dairy free spread (room temperature)
200g caster sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp pink/red food colouring (optional).
2-3 tbsp icing sugar
4 tbsp gin
Buttercream and decoration
200g dairy free spread/butter (room temperature)
400g icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
3.5 tbsp gin
1 lime zest for decoration
Preheat oven to 160*C fan/180*C standard
I use an all in one method for my cakes as I find this works better with the allergy free/special dietary ingredients.
1. Mix with a whisk in a large bowl the flour, dairy free spread, caster sugar, eggs, baking powder and vanilla extract until all combined and a smooth batter is achieved. Add food colouring if using it and mix again until pink/red.
2. Split the cake mixture evenly between 12 cupcake cases.
3. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until a starting to brown and a bouncy consistency is achieved.
4. While the cakes are baking, start the coulis. In a pan on a low to medium heat mix the strawberries, raspberries, icing sugar and 4 tbsp gin. I recommend just using 2 tbsp of icing sugar, but add more if it looks watery.
5. Keep pan on the heat for approximately 10 minutes until fruit has collapsed into a coulis.
6. Mash up any larger lumps of fruit and use a blender if need be.
7. Allow cakes and coulis to cool.
8. In a clean bowl mix the buttercream, first cream the butter, then add icing sugar and slowly turn up the whisk speed. Then add the vanilla and gin and continue to whisk.
9. Cut a 20 pence piece size hole into the centre of the cool cupcakes, this should go about 2/3 of the way down into the cupcakes.
10. Syringe/spoon the coulis into the holes in the cupcakes, make sure they are pretty much full to the top.
11. Pipe the buttercream on top of the cakes in whatever pattern you like. (Sprinkle lime zest onto buttercream to decorate)
12. Serve and enjoy!